My husband and I

My husband and I

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Coffee Table Turned Ottoman

AFTER


BEFORE


My husband found this beat up coffee table at a local thrift store and I immediately thought of turning it into an ottoman. And so this project began. The first thing I had to do was make a frame around the sides that was even so that I could wrap the fabric around. I believe I used 2"x2" and my nail gun.

Next I sanded down the legs so that they could be painted or stained.


Decided where you want your tufted buttons to go and drill some holes. Do this now before you cover your table. *It is often cheaper to get your buttons covered at an upholstery shop than it is to do it yourself. Most kits cost $10 for 10 button and then you have all the work to do whereas my local shop charges the same but they do the work. Your holes do not need to be extremely large but big enough to pass an upholstery needle through. 



Cover your piece with 2" or 3" upholstery grade foam which can be bought online or at Joanne Fabrics. Use an adhesive spray to make sure the foam stays in place. I also put the foam into the space on the sides. 

Next cover your piece with batting using a staple gun.



Now the fabric. To make the sure the design is put on straight and doesn't get pulled off center. Staple one side and then staple the direct opposite side. Never go clockwise/counterclockwise. Always straight across.

The corners may be tricky but try to tuck them in and staple in place.

The tufting part is not difficult but you will need 2 people. First DOUBLE thread your upholstery needle with upholstery grade thread. And pass your needle from the back of the table through to the front. Then place the button onto the needle. Sorry the picture is very blurry. 

Pass the needle back through the same hole...somewhat of a challenge. That is why you do not want to small of a hole to start. 

One person needs to be at the top of the table pushing in the button enough to get the tufted look you desire, while the other person staples the thread tightly into place. You may need to use a few staples here. I think my husband used 3 staples per button. 


Admire your handy work! 












No comments:

Post a Comment