My husband and I

My husband and I

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Custom Cornhole boards





















This is a super fun game to play at any outdoor get-together or tailgating event. Unfortunately, they cost about $200 to buy them already made plus you need to add the cost of the bags and possibly shipping. Yikes! I made these boards for about $70 for the set. It did take a few hours to put together but my husband was wonderful and helped out a ton.

Supplies needed:

4   2x4x21 (top and bottom)
4   2x4x24 (sides)
2   4'x2' plywood (tops) They come already precut at most hardware stores. They are more expensive then just buying a sheet of plywood, but since I don't own a circular saw and I wanted exact cuts, I went with the precut pieces.
4  2x4x17 (legs
4  4 1/2" long 3/8" diameter carriage bolts
4  3/8" flat washer
4  3/8" wing nut
Screws

Step 1:

Fasten the 2x4s into a box with the 21-inch pieces inside the 48-inch pieces to form a 2’ x 4’ box. Lay the plywood on top of the box, use the plywood to square up the 2x4 frame. Fasten the plywood onto the frame with 1-5/8” screws. Repeat for the second platform box.




Note: I did use a countersink drill bit for all my holes. It really cuts down on the wood splintering on you. Also after much trial and error, we found that the best way to line up the top board onto the frame is while it is standing on its side as it's shown in the picture. My husband was able to manipulate the boards so that everything fit flush. If you just try to lay the top board onto the frame while it's lying flat, it might come out a little off from the frame. 


Step 2: 

Make a full 3-1/2" radius cut on one end of each leg. To make the cut, measure 1-3/4" down the length of the 2x4 and draw a line across it. Place a compass point centered on that line then draw the arc. Use a jigsaw to make the cut. 



Note: Be sure to make that line straight across the top of the leg. You will use that later. 

Step 3:

Turn the box on its side and measure 5" down from the top and mark the center of the 2x4. Do not include the top plywood in your measurement of the center point. It should be about 1 3/4" since 2x4s are not try to size. Drill a 3/8" hole. Next, clamp a leg to side that already has the drilled hole. I lined up my horizontal line on the leg with the predrilled hole and then drilled a hole through the leg. 




Step 4:


Install the carriage bolt through both holes and attach with a washer and a wing nut. Check for operation; see if the legs can fold up and down inside of the platform. You may have to adjust the radius top if it is contacting anywhere, use a sander to do this. Repeat the process for the other legs.




Step 5:
Now we need to cut the legs so that they sit at an angle. Regulations say that the top of the board should sit 12" off the ground. This is somewhat confusing, but I will do my best to explain. To cut the legs, I pulled them out and then lined up a straight object next to the leg, drew a line, and then made my cut. I continued to do this until the board sat evenly 12" off the ground. 



Step 6: 
To find the center point of the hole, make a mark 9 inches down from the top and 12 inches in from each side. Use a compass to mark a 6-inch diameter circle around the spot that you marked. Pre-drill a hole along the edge of the circle large enough to accept the jigsaw blade and cut out the circle. 




Step 7:

Sand the entire board and around all edges including inside the circle. Putty all screw holes. Paint and clear coat the entire board. For more info on how I painted the letter K, check out my sign tutorial on the home page.

Plan an outdoor party and start having some fun!!! 







No comments:

Post a Comment