My husband and I

My husband and I

Thursday, August 21, 2014

DIY Pallet Clock


Creating this pallet clock really isn't at complicated as some people may think. Let me take you step by step through how I created this clock. 


First off, select your pallet (ask around because you can usually find them for free) and using a reciprocating saw dismantle the pallet. Select your boards and place them together.

Next trace out the outline of your clock. You can use the pencil and string method to create the circle however, I just used a clock that I already had to trace the circle.

Using your jig saw cut out the circle.

Attach your boards together using a slim board and either screws or a nail gun. Do not place the boards in the center of the circle as your clock motor will need to go there. I figured that out the hard way. 


Next cut a 3/8" hole in the center for your clock motor. 

If you want your clock to have the unpainted boarder around it as mine does. Trace another circle and use small pieces of painters tape to give you that circle. Paint your circle. I preferred the more distressed look so I used more of a dry brush technique. 


Design your numbers on your computer and transfer those to the clock using carbon copy paper. See my sign tutorial page for more details. Place each number 30 degrees apart. 


Paint those numbers.


Attach your clock kit. These can be purchased online or at your local craft store. Unfortunately, the craft stores only have a very limited number of sizes. I purchased my kit from https://www.norkro.com/. For larger clocks, you will need to purchase a high torque set. 

Be sure to keep in mind the depth of the clock. The shaft of the clock movement needs to come out slightly out of the face of the clock so that the nut can screw on tight to hold it in place. 


**Also be sure to note any uneven surfaces on the face of the clock. The clock hands will need to be high enough to pass over any ridges. If you look close in the picture you can see a rather large flaw in the wood near the 6. Because of these raised flaws, your clock shaft may need to be longer so the clock hands will sit higher. 

You might also want to use monkey glue to hold the kit in place for extra security. 

Attach hardware for hanging. My hubby hasn't gotten around to hanging this for me so right now its sitting on kitchen desk. 





No comments:

Post a Comment